View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #32
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post

A very small cadre of pretend Tolkien intellectuals who read the same publications, attend the same conferences, share each others group think idealogy and see themselves as the Defenders of the Faith.
Oh there's nothing like that Even in the Tolkien Society, which is very small, there are huge differences of opinion. I can imagine the usual debates about Balrog Wings have been happening this very weekend! Plus this most 'bookish' of societies also has plenty of film fans - you can buy all manner of film stuff at Oxonmoot and there are usually talks about the films. At the Birmingham event in 2005 the most popular talk was one by Alan Lee (who I met - he is lovely) about his artwork for the films - people had to be turned away! And they showed the films on a loop in a special overnight showing; apparently someone came in and started ranting about the films being terrible and he was met with a hail of abuse and popcorn before being bodily ejected from the room

I'm sorry if you think there's a divide, as there isn't really in my mind. I enjoy much about the films despite them not being 'as good' as the books for me - I've collected a lot of film memorabilia for example, including around 90 action figures.

I think the teleportation joke about the Elves is a fair point - after all, exactly how did they get to Helm's Deep, sneaking past that huge army of Uruk Hai?