View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Has anyone played it? What do you think? Does it hold stick with the Tolkien cannon or does it venture off?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
I've played this a lot. It's a fairly decent game if you're content with the designs to be based on the films (and some slightly iffy choices for fleshing out factions like Dwarves and Goblins). The gameplay is relatively straightforward but I like that you build whole blocks of men instead of individual soldiers (as many strategy games were still doing at the time). The upgrade system is a bit tedious; you pay for upgrades at the relevant building, but then have to upgrade each unit of soldiers individually, essentially paying for the upgrade twice.

I have to admit, I reinstalled it recently and didn't enjoy it that much, but admittedly I've been playing it on and off for years so maybe I'm just a bit too familiar with it. I'd say it's worth playing if you've never played it before.

In some respects I preferred the first one, although it's more limited and only has the "film" factions. The second one merges Gondor and Rohan into a single faction, which is a little odd. Nonetheless it's a fairly entertaining game and surely pretty inexpensive these days.