View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #259
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Yes; but so is everyone. That's what the Marring of Arda is. But Hurin actively threw himself into his fate, by battle and then by his actions after his release. Elwing was just living her life, and Tar-Miriel was forced into hers. Neither of them played an active role in bringing about their own misery.

Does that mean Hurin should have done differently? Certainly not in the Nirnaeth! But it does mean he chose to accept the potential consequences of his actions, whereas Elwing and Tar-Miriel didn't have that choice.

We're building a house of cards on a single example here (since I don't think Voronwe can be included - he was saved because Ulmo needed a messenger), but I think 'Ulmo saves those who had no way to avoid their fate' is a decent theory. (It's also what Earendil's embassy was based on: it's not the Exile Noldor he pleads for mostly, it's the Elves and Men who had no part in the Fall, but still suffer its consequences.)

hS

If that is true, then the House of Hurin is on top of that least, for none of them had any way to avoid their fate; because, as you said, Morgoth holds power over all of Arda, and there is no escape from it. Only one member of that House of Hurin did escape his power: the youngest one.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote