View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I think the stakes were too high for any other actions. Idril had been dwelling with Maeglin long, and sensed how dangerous he could be. She knew he loved her romantically, and that made him all the more treacherous and unpredictable. They couldn't risk trying to undermine him from within: had he got wind of it, I think he would certainly have killed Tuor, and possibly Eärendil as well.
That fear of Maeglin was certainly merited, as jealousy of Tuor was one of his primary motivations for betraying Gondolin to Morgoth. If he was willing to do that, who knows what he might have done if he had learned of a plot to shut him out of Turgon's favour?
If he would do that, then surely he was so unstable that he could have tried to kill them all even without them trying to shut him out.

Now Tuor was held in high regard with the king, if he could improve his position with the king even more, then he might not have to plot, but simply use his influence to limit Maeglin's power.

Instead they chose a path that could lead to total destruction, if Maeglin had found out what Idril had done and used the information right, he could have isolated them or worse.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote