View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 AM   #166
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Speaking of women in LotR...

Since LotR is such a male-bonding sort of adventure, I have always thought it would be interesting to create an RPG or Fan Fic centered around women, almost a mirroring adventure that takes place at the same time as the events chronicled in LotR. I first got the idea from a line out of Isak Dinesen when she talks about how men are are constantly being tested for courage, etc, while women are tested for their abilities to wait & endure. Then I read Carolyn Cassady's "Off The Road", which was the feminine flipside of Jack Kerouac's adventures "On The Road", which really set me to thinking.

In a traditionally male-dominated culture, women are kind of unseen in that most of the time they operate in the background and below the radarscope, so to speak, of men. With this in mind, I have been mentally debating how to develop the notion of a "mirror fellowship" of women for quite a while now, where they are not tested in their ability to wait and endure, but for their abilities to succeed at their given adventure.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to explore the "wait & endure" side of things, too, say from the POV of Rosie in The Shire.
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote