View Single Post
Old 02-06-2001, 10:20 AM   #11
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: a reply

Osanwe-Kenta is indeed remarkable.

Re: Galadriel taking ship (with or without Celeborn) into exile, she had three motives. First, she had petitioned to Manwe for leave to return to Middle Earth before the Rebellion (at least in one version). Second, she fought on behalf of the Teleri in Alqualonde against Feanor and his followers and did not wish to associate herself as a follower of Feanor but nonetheless wished to return to ME. Lastly, she wished to follow Feanor to avenge her kindred, but would not march with him and his followers.

What I dislike about the &quot;return to ME via ship&quot; version is that Celeborn becomes a Valinorean Teleri rather than a prince of Doriath which I feel is more appropriate and meshes better with his decision to stay after the end of the Third Age. Also that the &quot;ship&quot; version seems to be associated with the &quot;Galadriel was never in Beleriand&quot; thread, which I also disfavor and which also at least impliedly differs from what is said in LoTR.

Re: MT, I am a fence rider. I like some of the concepts (round earth, etc.) but feel some of the revisions needed to effect MT as part of the story are difficult and almost contrived.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>