View Single Post
Old 04-14-2001, 11:55 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
road goes ever on

Aiwedil , you are right on re: RGEO , I loaned my copt ouy and have forgotten it's exact details.

Aiwendil posted&quot;Regarding Celebrimbor, Gil-Galad, and the High Kingship: I think that Celebrimbor's rejection of Curufin as a father is good enough grounds for his not getting the Kingship. The real question, then, is why didn't it go to Idril, and then to Elrond? I still think that the statement about Neri and Nissi being equal rules out a purely male-descent for Elven kingships and such. Personally, I prefer Gil-Galad as the son of Fingon, but Tolkien's latest ideas here are very clear, and I don't think it's impossible to reconcile them with the rest of the Silm. &quot;

Lindil replies:Celebrimbor [as son of Curufin]was a no go for king because the house of Feanor had become dispossesed- they lost the heirship and the Silmarills. Not to mention that the if the majority of the Endorian Noldor would not follow him [moderate son of Feanor that he was] they would certainly have nothing to do w/ their house after the slayings in Doriath and the Havens of Sirion. I would imagine it was mostly Feanorians who went to Eregion , they probably were rather unwelcome [ w/out a sincere and deep repentance] among the other Noldor, and so founded their own community under Celebrimbor.Galadriels sojourn their may be part of Thranduil's dislike [mentioned in UT] as he was a Doriathrim [or son of].

Re: Female High Queens, it never happened. I would surmise that it was partly cultural and partly circumstance [leading wars and such as Tar Elenion mentioned [I think].Galdriel could possibly have been an exception but by the time Gil-Galad died there were prob. to few Noldor to have a High_king, thus Elrond and Galadriel made no prretenious claims , but went about their business, and acted somewhat in a conciliar fashion .

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote