View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #645
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting Ędegard & Raefindan

"Young fool!" said the swamp elf Maegeleb. "I had naught to do with the loss of your hand. You blundered down the path that led to the stronghold of the merlocks. I do not go there. I would be a fool to, for there they are stronger than I. You lost your hand out of your own foolishness rather than any ill will of mine." The swamp elf turned to the Elves. "Do not unbind my hands, nor give me a sword. I would not have this welp's life on my hands, for if you put a sword in my hand, he will surely die."

Ędegard felt his breath leave and not come back. His sword fell and its tip split the ankle deep snow.

"You lie." The words came out choked and uncertain.

"Think you so? Then go back to the merlocks' lair and test their hunger without me there."

It was so. Ędegard knew it in his bones. He had been a fool, thinking he knew best how to save Leafa only to get lost and be himself the cause of his own loss. Not only did he miss a hand, but he was a fool. All the more reason to free her of him.

"Leafa," he said to the ground, "see you why I must not take you to wife?"

"She is not here!" came Liornung's voice, "nor is Bella. Where have they gone?"

"Did anyone see them leave?" Erebemlin demanded. All those that remained shook their heads. Erebemlin's eyes kindled. "Too many callow humans are among us. Better they go back to their homes and leave this quest to those whose heads rule their hearts! Ravion! Erundil! Taitheneb! Find the two women! Speed you!" They split up the circumference of the camp between them and left the ring of firelight. Erebemlin turned to the one he knew as Tharonwe. "You, sit. I do not know what ill you would breed among us, but I trust you not."

"I will not raise a hand against any among you," Maegeleb said, his face sobre.

"Be silent!" Erebemlin shouted. "I would have no oath or promise from you. Sit and be silent." He turned to Raefindan. "Tell us what passed between you and him while he held you captive."

One thing Roy was sure of, he needed to interact with these people as little as possible. The more they knew of where he came from, the more his knowledge would infect and pollute this time and place - worst of all, them. He had to keep that from happening.

"We walked south," he said, "and he learned much of me; where I'm from." And when. "He used me to speak to Mithrellas, who believes that I am Imrazor; which of course is not true; I do not know why she thinks that. Maegeleb seeks to supplant Amroth in the affections of Nimrodel."

"That much we know already," Erebemlin replied. "Is there anything else?"

Roy thought hard. At last he shook his head. "No. There is nothing else."

"Then take your rest." He handed Raefindan a leaf packet. "Eat."

Ędegard sat and watched the fire. He dared not look at any others, for surely they knew him a fool; he could not bring himself to see their knowledge in their eyes. Erebemlin was right. He should return to Edoras. Bethberry's faith in him was misplaced. The sooner he returned, the better, not least for Leafa.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-07-2005 at 09:37 PM.