View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #76
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
General Changes:
I would like to re-open an old decision:
Quote:
{Gnome}[Elf] or [Noldo] and {Gnomes}[Elves] or [Noldor]. “Gnomes” was dropped by Tolkien in LR and later writings, often replaced by Noldor. It would be better artistically to retain the original variation Gnome/Gnomes and Noldo/Noldli which can be best done by replacing Gnome/Gnomes by Elf/Elves except where a general reference to Elves would not fit, as in “the Gnomes were exiles at heart, haunted with a desire for their ancient home that faded not.” Then use Noldor.
I would like to be more specific. Still the wish for the variation is okay. And as well we should look at specific cases like the given example. But Tolkien later often used ‘Exiles’ as a Name for the Noldor in Beleriand. And I think that is exactly the meaning we would most often need as a replacement for ‘Gnomes’. But he never used it in singular. So I propose:
Quote:
{Gnome}[Elf] or [Noldo] and {Gnomes}[Exiles] or[Elves] or [Noldor]. “Gnomes” was dropped by Tolkien in LR and later writings, often replaced by Noldor. It would be better artistically to retain the original variation Gnome/Gnomes and Noldo/Noldli which can be best done by replacing Gnome/Gnomes by Elf/Exiles except where a general reference to Elves is needed or Exiles would not fit, as in “the Gnomes were exiles at heart, haunted with a desire for their ancient home that faded not.” In this last case use Noldor.
And I would like to add three changes. In the course of the material for the chapters 4 we added linguistic stuff. In these we have Tolkien using short hand ‘Q’, ‘PQ’, ‘S’ ‘T’. I think we should expand all this:
Quote:
{PQ}[Primitive Quendian] due to the fact that we are writing narrative and not linguistic essays.

{Q}[Quenya] due to the fact that we are writing narrative and not linguistic essays.

{S}[Sindarin] due to the fact that we are writing narrative and not linguistic essays.

{T}[Telerin] due to the fact that we are writing narrative and not linguistic essays.
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote