View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #144
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Raiders of Harad! Ferethor's countenance hardened. They'd have no trouble coming in pursuit of our expedition should they choose to follow us. Survivors of the War of Rings they are, most valourous and skilled of the Haradrim soldiers. "Ride now, before they are any closer..." Atharen steadied his mount and flashed a light grin. "Roryn and I will follow." Ferethor frowned in wonder and reeled to face him incredulously as he said, "Roryn and you, Ranger?"

Atharen leaned to whisper to Roryn as he expected Ferethor to take this attitude, before turning in his stirrups to face Ferethor's question. "Why would you want to stay and risk your life, Ferethor? You'd be of much more use in protecting the expedition from any other danger they might come across."

"I am versed in the speech of Harad, Ranger." Ferethor replied dryly to Atharen's challenging question, drawing forth his blade which mirrored the blurring evergreens. "We must earn such time as we could to allow others to get away safely, and I may succeed yet in persuading the outlaws to stay their swords. If that fails, another sword beside yours might be of great aid in battle. I am not unskilled in wielding of blade, as Roryn may know."

"Nevertheless..." Atharen was about to reply but changed his mind at the last moment, and turned fiercely to others still mounted and uncertainly tarrying. "What are you waiting for, Maen? Flee while the daylight lasts!" Del then to everyone's amaze spoke, lightly yet with confidence. "Atharen, I'd want to stay. I would not miss out of the fun, not by any price." At that, Roryn lost his temper, his will already strained by the oncoming battle. "No, Del. I doubt you can even save your own life let alone everyone else's."

Strangely, it was the usually rash Ferethor who spoke for Del. "Valour may come in many disguises, Roryn, cheerfulness not the exception as I've learned long ago from Lieutenant Meren. I've always admired him for his ability to smile and joke in the very face of death. Can we deny him his right to fight if he wishes?"