View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
SlverGlass
Pile O'Bones

SlverGlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
I guess I'm wondering, is Tolkien's work a true mythology for you? (True as opposed to Fact!). Is it a "rock' that informs your life, relationships, creativity? Is it "always there" for you, in a mythic, perhaps subconscience sense? Does it teach you how to be whatever it is you hope to be? or think you are? Is it more for you than just a great work of fiction? If it is, why and how?
To answers your questions; both yes and no. Tolkien's works have meant a greater part of the world for me since I was fortunate enough to be acquainted with it. For me it is certainly more than any piece of fiction, that I might read and then store it in more obscure pat of my brain. Tolkien's world and his characters have taught me a lot and have contributed a lot to what I am today. When in despair, it acts as a constant in my life. While reading the Silmarillion or Lotr, I get transferred to a different world where I know that things, be it the worse of worst, would resolve themselves at the end. I believe that good will triumph over evil, though marks of evil will remain. I believe that there remains a peaceful place akin to Valinor where we will travel after the end of our days. I believe in the agelessness of elves, admire the sturdiness of the dwarfs, and crave for the 'freedom' that defines the hobbits. To say that Professor J R R Tolkien has influenced my life, would be, but, an understatement.

All these being said, however, the fact remains that Lotr and all other works, does not define my life or even define me. I has shaped me up; yes, but that's that. According to me, the human mind always seeks and craves for newer pastures. Only a very few would be satisfied with familiar fields, and I envy them this. But, it is not me. I do seek more and I always will. Today Tolkien's works form a large part of my life but tomorrow it might be something else.

The Lotr, Silmarillion etc, will always remain a part of my life but I cannot vouch for the extent of it. The stories certainly helps me in my life but it does not hold all answers for me. It is just a part of it; a very huge part, yes, but just a part.

i don't know if I have managed to explain myself at all. If not, please do not take any offense.
SlverGlass is offline   Reply With Quote