View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #328
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Gárwine felt drops of sweat burst upon the back of his neck when he heard Eodwine call his name. He walked into the clearing in front of the Eorl's throne. Despite the heat inside, he unconsciously pulled his green cloak more snugly around him. He glanced at all the people surrounding him once, and then bowed his head to Lord Eodwine.

"Garwine, what think you of service to me?" said Eodwine from his kingly chair, "How have you fared?"

"I have fared well, my lord," Gárwine began, choosing his words carefully. He was off to a safe start. "I have a new home here at your mead hall. I thank you for the hospitality you have shown me and the others who have came here." He bowed gingerly.

"As to being a man-at-arms, I feel that I have fulfilled the post suffieciently. I have carefully watched the comings and goings of travelers, and made sure that no harm comes to this hall. And while you were absent from the hall, searching for the kidnapped Lady Linduial, I kept an especially watchful eye over this hall's visitors. There is nothing more important to me, my lord, than the safety of your hall during your absences."

He glanced up at Lord Eodwine for a moment, but couldn't make out what expression he wore in that brief instant. Gárwine turned his eyes back towards the floor.

"Every day during those three weeks I walked the hallways with my sword and spear," he continued. "Though there were few threats, I still guarded the hall diligently." Gárwine glanced again at Lord Eodwine. "Pray judge me fairly, lord," he muttered, awaiting what he would have to say.