Thread: Tal-Elmar
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This is the nice thing about a group effort: each member looks for some different aspects, and so the result is always much bettern than everything I could have done single handed.

I agree to nearly all suggestions, and I thank you for pointing them out ArcusCalion! Only in two passages we are not fully in line:

Only TE-SL-32 & TE-SL-33 I see diffrent. Yes, what we have is Tolkien thinking with the pen, but what he sets on paper does fit mostly to the tale he has told before: Tal-Elmar has got his special heritage from 'the cruels from the north'. These as the geography stands must be the Northman. And we are told that Númenóreans have formed a alliance with them. Thus the Númenórean influence is much greater than you thought. And we do not say that Tal-Elmar did visit these places with the Númenórans. With the alliance just memtioned and Tal-Elmar story of the live of his grand-mother it is highly probable that he would visit the Northman and live for a time at least with them. Thus he might easily see Rhovannion, Wilderland Anduin and the See of Rhun. The Ettenmoors are a diffrent case and might belong to an older idea of the placing of Agar. So I would agree to remove the Ettenmoors. But the rest seems fully in line with the tale, so that I do not see any good reason not to mention them.

TE-SL-46: I agree to this change, but only hesitatingly. We have before used such real world jargon in linguistical sentences. But since it is here not so much a comparision with later day as simply a word used for the function of the language I agree to the change.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote