Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2001, 06:40 AM   #13
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

&lt;&lt;No thank you, I don't like.
I 'like' Tolkien pure and without bias.
But thanks for the information anyway.&gt;&gt;

If you mean that looking at Tolkien's works in a scholarly way, and trying to draw conclusions about them based on the available facts, is 'biased', you may not like this project very much. At any rate, there are valid arguments for the increasing importance of Balrogs there.

&lt;&lt;Because the intent is regarding Maia Balrogs, while the text, even after modification, retains that the Balrogs wrought before the War of the Powers were slain.&gt;&gt;

There is no reference anywhere, as far as I know, to a distinction between Maiar Balrogs and Balrogs that were 'wrought' before the War of the Powers. In the post-LotR writings, the idea that Balrogs were ever created by Melkor is definitively abandoned, and they are made Maiar. Perhaps you could provide a reference?

&lt;&lt;I know of the quote and its abuse.
I'm also aware of the removal of the possible allegory to the Christian theology about 1/3rd of Heaven in rebellion.&gt;&gt;

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Again, a reference would be most appreciated.

&lt;&lt;But when the origins are examined you'll find that both thousands and at most 7 co-exist without cancellation of the other and without trouble for the exiles, in the sense intended.&gt;&gt;

Could you please make specific references rather than leaving us in the dark? What text in particular, did you examine to come to this conclusion?

&lt;&lt;Had you read the clarification post directly afterward and posted before your reply, you would have seen that this was so.&gt;&gt;

I apologize; if you look at the times for those two posts, you'll see they sort of crossed.

It sounds like you have some interesting ideas on this topic; that's why I'd like to see your specific proposal, and your sources.

</p>
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote