View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #199
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Surinen

“Latah will be fine, do not worry,” Surinen said in answer to Narayad’s questions. “But now Thorn has asked me to come and give you company,” he said peering around the edge of the lean-to. And seeing that younger of the two guests sat before the fire, he continued in a whisper, “he also gave warning that Rôg understands our speech, so take care what you say.”

Narayad glanced over at the maenwaith, a smile spreading across features. “Oh, that would explain his sudden departure from the well. For if I remember aright I had suggested we kill him, poor creature. And it is one thing to be killed outright, but quite another to know about it before hand!” he said trying to contain the laughter that threatened to override his words.

“Shhh,” Surinen sputtered. “How would you have liked to listen to us discuss your fate? You would not be so merry as you are now, I should think.”

“He knew what to do, and so would I.”

“Yes, well…they are planning to find a proper place for these two, and so until then you are stuck with me. And they…” he said waving his hand toward the lean-to, “ are stuck with us.”

“That is fine, I will enjoy your presence. But tell me Surinen,” Narayad asked suddenly serious. “Has Latah found the incense pot yet? I am worried about this, for it is her work to keep it lit, and some have said that it was this that started the fire, and that now she is looking for it.”

“No Narayad, I am sorry, but she has not discovered it. And I do not understand how it is missing, though I have searched for it with her. Such things do not simply melt away!”

“Could someone else have removed it?” Narayad asked. “It sounds strange, I know, but perhaps someone had a reason for taking it away. You were there, did you see anything?”

“What are you saying?” Surinen asked.

“Only that I am wondering if this fire was truly an accident, or perhaps someone is trying to blame Latah for it. I do not know.”

“Who would try to blame her, Narayad? It doesn’t make sense. The whole encampment knows that she would not do anything to harm the Meldakhar.”

“Still, I would like it to be found… for her sake.”