View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #58
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzan29 View Post
Though many here have theorized against the Eye as being Sauron's only physical form, I would like to mention a curious idea that has come to mind. Imagine Sauron as the Necromancer having a wraith-like form in the Hobbit book but afterwards returned to his homeland of Mordor to build his armies and regain his power. I believe fully that the Eye is his shade's form manifested.
An interesting idea, but I just don't think that was the case. The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is a fascinating read. In a draft to Letter #246, Tolkien says of Sauron's form:

Quote:
Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic.
Why could he not have been indeed in human shape, having one large, red eye, Cyclops-like?

Quote:
No matter what Smeagol said of his torture in Mordor, this Eye is the form in which Sauron takes shape since any spirit of his order (like Gandalf) can choose their body. The Eye doesn't bark around orders to every Orc, man, and slave under his control. That would be rediculus. Much like any king or lord, his advisers do the dirty work and speak for him on common errands to his subjects.
While I do agree that Sauron largely used servants to obtain his goals, I think the Eye was merely the symbol chosen by Sauron to represent himself, mainly for his minions.
Aragorn in the books notes that Sauron does not allow his name to be "spelt or spoken" by his servants, and that's in keeping with his desire to be both king and god to them. Having a personal name by which he was known could, in his mind, have detracted from the aura of awe and terror he wished to inspire, Therefore, why not have a fearsome, but impersonal symbol for his troops to regard?

Quote:
The Eye is Sauron! The Mouth or Sauron speaks, the Eye sees all, and what i find very cool but no one seems to notice is that the nine Ring Wraiths are his NINE remaining fingers...... This common theme of having a body parts being different characters but all a part of the bigger picture is very interesting. Sauron's power, much like any administration, is weaker without followers. The Eye is the mind. The body of administration does the mind's work. If Smeagol was tortured in Mordor by anyone besides orcs, it was the nine wraiths who could be taken as the quote by Smeagol about the Dark Lord's fingers.
The connection between Sauron's nine fingers and the Nine Nazgûl is interesting, but I think just coincidence. The Nine Rings were obviously made long before Sauron lost his finger, along with his One Ring.
As for the body part analogy, how does that fit with Saruman and his White Hand?

And by the way, welcome to the Downs!