Thread: Of the Sindar
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
OS-MT-07.1: I think we have to eliminate the years counting at the beginning of OS-MT-07.
Quote:
OS-MT-07 <GA 1330 §26 And ere long OS-MT-07.1{(in the year 1330 according to the annals that were made in Doriath)} the evil creatures came even to Beleriand, over passes in the mountains, or up from the south through the dark forests. Wolves there were, or creatures that walked in wolf-shapes, and other fell beings of shadow.
OS-03: I think here we should keep Melkor and the retelling of the naming.

OS-MT-03.1: ‘In this year’ does not go, since we do not have the year number in front like in GA. Therefore I think we could use Christopher Tolkiens take at it.
OS.MT-03.2 As Of Dwarves and Men we learn that the dwarves of the Ered Luin awoke in the North of that Mountain chain not farther East.
Quote:
OS-MT-03 <GA 1250 §19 OS-MT-03.1{In this year}<Sil77 It came to pass during the second age of the captivity of Melkor that> the Norn-folk came first over the mountains into Beleriand. This people the {Noldor after}[Sindar] named the Naugrim, whom some Men call Dwarves. Their most ancient dwellings were OS-MT-03.2{far to the East}[in the North], but they had delved for themselves great halls and mansions, …
OS-MT-03.2: We already cannibalised Concerning the Dwarves. I in my opinion paragraph 6 belongs here, rather than when the Noldor meet the Dwarves.
Quote:
§20 Nonetheless they could understand no word of the tongue of the Naugrim, which to their ears was cumbrous and unlovely OS-MT-03.2{; and few ever of the Eldar have achieved the mastery of it}. <LQ; Concerning the Dwarves §6 The father-tongue of the Dwarves Aulë himself devised for them, and their languages have thus no kinship with those of the Quendi. The Dwarves do not gladly teach their tongue to those of alien race; and in use they have made it harsh and intricate, so that of those few whom they have received in full friendship fewer still have learned it well. But they themselves learn swiftly other tongues, and in converse they use as they may the speech of Elves and Men with whom they deal. Yet in secret they use their own speech only, and that (it is said) is slow to change; so that even their realms and houses that have been long and far sundered may to this day well understand one another. In ancient days the Naugrim dwelt in many mountains of Middle-earth, and there they met mortal Men (they say) long ere the Eldar knew them; whence it comes that of the tongues of the Easterlings many show kinship with Dwarf-speech rather than with the speeches of the Elves.[Footnote to the text: Thus the {Lammas}[Lhammas].]> {But}So the Dwarves were swift to learn (after a fashion), ...
OS-06: Yes, I think we should put parts of this Note in. The first much earlier at the end of §30:
Quote:
… In that region the forests in after days were tall and green, and the people of Denethor there dwelt warily and seldom seen, because of their raiment of the color of leaves; and they were called therefore the Green-elves. OS-MT-09.5 <GA, Note on the ‘Guets Elves’ {the}The Nandor had turned away, never seen the Sea or even Osse, and had become virtually Avari. They had also picked up various Avari before they came back west to Ossiriand.>
§31 Of the long years of peace …
At the place marked with OS-06 I would add:
Quote:
… And many went north and entered the guarded realm of Thingol and were merged with his folk. OS-06 <GA, Note on the ‘Guets Elves’ In the event they did not mingle happily with the Teleri of Doriath, and so dwelt mostly in the small land Eglamar, Arthorien under their own chief. Some of them were "darkhearted", though this did not necessarily appear, except under strain or provocation.{'} {'}The chief of the "Guest-elves", as they were called, was given a permanent place in Thingol's council.>
§40 And when Thingol came again to Menegroth …
OS-05: I would change that. It is the ‘year of the Valar’ that we have to avoid:
Quote:
or by spirit, or by vision in dream, after the death of the Trees and the hiding of Valinor. OS-05 {In this same year of the Valar (but some}Some seven years after (in the later reckoning of time) Fëanor came over Sea in the white ships of the Teleri, and landed in the Firth of Drengist, and there burned the ships at Losgar.>
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote