Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #234
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

The Tennis Ball Kid has just left Hobbiton.
I'm pretty sure Merry stabs Wiki with the sword he got at Dunharrow, he had lost the other two by that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Does it feel right that a Ring that lay lost for 3000 years, and then right under Gandalf's nose for 60+ years is discovered by Gandalf to be THE One Ring in the course of, what the movie shows, as about 3 months? It doesn't feel right.
At least six months I'd say, judging by Barliman's line about not seeing him in six months. Felt about right to me (in the context of the film), he gets suspicious about it, rides off to the nearest public library to read up on Rings of Power, rides back, and tells Frodo he's got the Big One.

Quote:
Then, in the Return of the King, Jackson shoots his own work down, and has Elrond make it to Dunharrow in what appears to be a matter of a couple days, after establishing how long it took Aragorn to get there (if by a slightly longer route) from Rivendell.
It may look like it took him only a couple of days, but he presumably started right after Arwen had him reforge the sword, which was presumably right after she got back from almost sailing across the sea, which actually might be rather close to the time the Fellowship left and she had her little spat with Aragorn. In other words he may hve left Rivendell not long at all after Aragorn did. You're right that the timeline isn't entirely coherent when viewing ROTK, but it might make more sense if you watched the three films in a fairly short period of time.

No doubt the timeline would have made more sense if they had left the scrapped "Arwen at Helm's Deep" storyline in.

ttbk
The Tennis Ball Kid is offline   Reply With Quote