View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #177
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
O Erebemlin, how shall I reach her!

Remember, my lord, that you rest by a fair stream. THe ash does not belong to you, nor you to it.

As Nimrodel watched, the ash fell away from Amroth. He stood clean before her, just washed, radiant and golden. He reached for her. For a moment she gazed, spellbound. But then her hope turned to wrath.

Always you escape me! Even death does not hold you! Even the ash does not remain! You slip away! You slip away yet again! She raised her fists to her own face, and cringed away from him.

Erebemlin cringed with her. Nethwador went to Nimrodel's side.

"Courage, lady. He loves you."

She lowered her fists, and looked at him. "You are a mere child. How are you among the oathbreakers?"

"Nay, lady, I broke no oath."

Ravion's head came up, and he watched Nethwador. But beyond Nethwador, he saw the glimmer of Aeron's eyes, gazing at him. Oathbreaker. Faithless. As he watched, he saw Gwyllion quarreling, defending him. Her attempt to bless stung him even more than Aeron's curse. I broke no oath. He had never meant to, yet always, it seemed, fate intervened, immersing him in failure. I broke no oath. I never meant to fail you. I broke no oath.

"So they all say. Yet here you stand, in the ash." Her eyes faded. "Yet I may be glad of your company, young oathbreaker. Bide with me a while. Tell me, who loved you?"

"The king," said Nethwador. "He was never faithless to me. He will prove his faith to you, lady."

"Why would I want the faith of an oathbreaking king?"

Nethwador shook his head. "No, not the king of the oathbreakers. Amroth. Your king and mine."

She waved her hand. "Oathbreaker he was and remains. Speak to me no more of him. Yet stay. Nay, speak. Speak of him, young one, for I would fain hear. Speak to me of Amroth. I shall dream of him again. Speak, young one, speak." And she lay down in the ash, curled up against a rock, and went to sleep.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-28-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Remove signature