View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 04:21 PM   #290
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio went below with Veritas to find the weapons they would make into spears. There were four long and two throwing knives, and the two shorter bladed, stabbing swords. They would bind these to the some of the staves they had also gathered, and sharpen the remaining four of the staves to sharp points.

Khelek had been sent to fetch a roll of rawhide stored in another section of the hold. This he soaked in a pail of warm water until it was soft and cut it into long thin strips.

They brought all this to the deck and Pio set the two to sharpening the blades to a razor sharp edge and point. Khelek, then, took each blade and bound it securely to a stave with the wet strips of rawhide, leaving them in the sun to dry to a tight, hard binding.

Last, they sharpened to a fine edge each of the spears, harpoons, battle axes, and wood axes. When they were done, there were sixteen sturdy spears, and four deadly sharp axes.

Mithadan had come up to inspect their efforts, and helped them store the stockpile of weapons in a secure area of the deck.

It was evening by the time all had been put away, and hunger drove them all down to the galley to forage for their suppers. Pio took Mithadan aside once they had gone below, and brought him to the area where she and the two hobbrim girls had been working earlier.

She explained what the devices would do. The smaller ones could be lit by a candle to their attached incendiary device and thrown at approaching troops to burst at their feet. The substances inside were highly flammable when exposed to the fire of the small incendiary and air. The sticky goo would spatter in a widely dispersed pattern and cling to anything it touched, including skin. It was very difficult to put out, and was known to burn at a high temperature for a long time.

The larger devices could be lit and several thrown across a passage way to form a wide, white hot firewall, as the oil carried the flames outward from the initial point of contact.

If he wished, arrows could also be dipped in this substance and once lit, fired at desired targets.

'Do you wish us to make more? Or do you think this will be enough?' she asked.

That night, Pio joined Khelek and Veritas in Khelek's room. She wanted to speak with them before the urgent press of battle preparation began. Khelek sat cleaning his sword and testing it's edge, while Pio quickly cleaned her mithril shirt of the remains of her most recent encounter and then looked to her own blade.

'What will you be doing once this is all done?' asked Veritas. She had cleaned Pio's knives and was now holding one up to the light, checking it's edges for knicks and burrs.

Pio looked toward Khelek, who had raised his head, considering the question. She saw an unmistakable longing in his eyes before he bent his head once more over his blade, polishing the already gleaming metal.

'What of you?' asked Pio, nodding back at Veritas.

'I do not know.' Veritas replied. 'I have grown weary of late, and can not see what more this world can hold for me.

'Nor can I.' came Khelek's quick reply.

Pio put down her sword, and spoke softly to them. 'I have been thinking on this. I wonder if you both might allow me to do something on your behalf.' Khelek looked at her questioningly.

'When I came to you as Tulë,' she went on, 'it was my intention to return to the West with the other Elves when all this was finished.' She looked down at the blade which lay across her crossed legs. 'Now my path lies in another direction, and that choice is closed to me.' She looked up, taking them both in. 'But it is not closed to you. And if you will, I shall speak with Idril and she will bear you back with her when she departs.'

Neither of the other two spoke, each lost in thought of what was offered.

'There is no need to answer now.' she told them. 'Think on it. Then come to me in private and tell me your decision.'

Pio gathered her shirt and weapons and took them back to her room. Once resheathed in her baldric, she hung them on a peg near her helmet. She looked about her. There were still feathers everywhere; there had been no time to clear them away.

'Happier times.' she thought to herself, and laughed. 'Perhaps we'll see them again.'

She closed the door firmly behind her as she left, leaving the weapons and the feathers to keep each other company.

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]