View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 06:04 AM   #297
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

That night, the contest came down to Gamba and Azraph. Gamba's lucky rock availed him little, and to his chagrin, Azraph's skill availed her much.

Azraph danced gleefully around the remaining lit candle, still held by Esta. Laughing, Esta put it down, carefully, and they joined hands, and danced a little more.

Gamba laughed, grimly determined this time not to show his disappointment about losing, and relieved for Esta's sake that he had lost to a girl. Phura smiled; if Gamba's laugh was a little forced and sharp, Phura could forgive him for it. Azraph was radiant, and Phura was very proud of her.

Azraph came to meet Gamba, who congratulated her heartily, and shook her hand and placed a kiss on her cheek. Suddenly Phura paled.

The champion's kiss.

Azraph looked at Phura, and saw that the blood was drained completely from him and he was wide-eyed. He wasn't prepared. Had he not believed that she would win? she wondered, and then realized, that wasn't the point. His modesty was too strong for a kiss in front of hundreds of carousing hobbits and a guard of leering men.

She walked back behind the candle, and raised her hands. A hush fell immediately. "At last, I celebrate victory, " she crowed, and a thunderous roar went up. Several hobbits began a chant of "Phu-ra, Phu-ra, " but she waved her hands and silence fell again. "For tonight, like the ten finalists, I choose to be content with having proven my skill." A murmur of surprise went around, but one look at Phura, and her reason became clear. Many nodded. Some of the guards laughed, but a few remained silent. Phura began blushing furiously.

"However, " she continued, "I do claim one other compensation. I want your lucky rock, " she said, extending her hand to Gamba.

A roar of laughter went up, and the attention shifted to Gamba, and Phura breathed a sigh of relief. Gamba relinquished the rock.

The guards began settling their accounts, joking and laughing, and praising Azraph's marksmanship, and Gamba's defeat. One of the soldiers that had been sitting in the rear stood, and pulled his cloak tighter around him, and walked out. Those sitting around him wondered why Captain Tarkil had come down and never placed a single bet, but they shrugged it off.