View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #6
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
Well the medicinal arts of Numenor were certainly alive and well in the Dunedain, as witnessed by Aragorn's healing skills. It is by means of this ability that the people of Gondor recognised his credentials as the heir of Isildur.
They were alive in the Dunedain of the North... the healing ability had been lost long ago in the south, as is evidenced by Ioreth's distaste for the idea of using Athelas on the injured people.

I would guess, that even in the North, these pieces of lore were declining. Aragorn was the longest lived of the chieftains for many generations. Longevity seems to run hand in hand with purity of Numenorean "essence"-- if that's the word I'm looking for. I was under the impression that Aragorn had learned much of what he knew of healing and such in Rivendell from Elrond. I would be hesitant to say that it was flourishing in the community of Dunedain at large.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote