View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #189
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"What happened to you?" Valde queried. He extended a hand to help Panakeia to her feet.

The hand eagerly accepted, she stood and brushed the dust off her dress. "I'm not sure," came the doubtful reply. So far, she felt like her usual self. That is, if her usual self had been accustomed to places like Dol Gaurgauroth. At least she didn't seem to feel the effects of that nagging voice. Not yet.

SPaM thrust the bottle of tequila toward her. "Here. Drink thiths." To her surprise, Panakeia accepted. A few dainty sips later, she gratefully returned the bottle and sat down, her head in her hands.

SPaM smiled. "Strong sthuff?"

"Yes. No. I was just thinking." She looked around the village. "I know I was acting a bit off earlier. But I stand by what I said before. I don't think this place is real. Nothing makes sense."

"But sthill, Panakeia. Sthink of what you're suggthesthing. A colleshtive delushion?"

"I wouldn't put anything past that Anakron," she snapped. "Well, maybe one or two things. For one, I don't think he's a murderer. And if there aren't any wolves here, who else is left for the nighttime destruction? Just Anakron and his minions. But if this is all a dream of some sort, there haven't been any real deaths." Panakeia faltered for a moment, thinking over the past two sets of lynchings. "And I don't think he'd make killers out of us. Because, let's face it, if this is real, that's exactly what we all are."

Valde spoke up. "Maybe that is what he wants."

Panakeia shook her head. "No, there's something else. Elempí. He was harmless, nice even. And he's part of Anakron. I can't believe that Elempí could be Anakron if Anakron truly were that brutal. That's why I want to test my theory and vote for myself today."

"But suppose you're wrong. Then you die. Curtain down. Finis."

"I know. But if this is real, I don't know if I want to go on with blood on my hands."

"Don't do it. You can't afford to take the chance." With a shake of the head, SPaM concurred.

Panakeia mulled it over for a minute or two. "Alright. But I won't risk anyone else's life either. I refuse to vote." She raised her voice and stood tall. "Do you hear me, Anakron? I won't do it! It's not right!" Then, feeling a bit dizzy, she sat down.

And the voice in her head began to speak. Good for you. Didn't I tell you we make quite a team?

"Oh, shut up."

"Who, me?" Valde looked surprised.

"What? I'm sorry. Nevermind. Forget it."

You may be here to stay, but there are going to be some adjustments. We can't go soft all the time. Understand?

Of course. Now about that sample case of yours...

Panakeia groaned internally. This was not going to be easy.