View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #452
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I see this descending into an objectivity-of-humour discussion (I remember one of those with SPM about movie-Gimli ).

But surely, even if such foul abuse can properly be called 'humour', would it not be worth it? Suppose they had given the gift of life to men, those same men might use it to try to end the lives of the Wargs. It would be tragic. And we all know how much the Wargs value a good tragedy.

Sometimes, one must give, knowing that the gift could lead to evil, even an ironic evil, as in this case.
You couch your words in term such as "would" and "suppose", Honoured Scholar Eomer, but any good Wargophile will know that this is but a gentle humour with which you melancholically refer to the true events of history, almost. Though the gift of Life comes but from Eru, and not from the Wargs (though there are those who would say that Eru is a Warg, but that is a metaphysical question and beyond my historical scope), is it not true that the quality of Life that we possess comes from the Wargs? Where would we be without the great benefits they have given us?

I am convinced that the ancient Greeks knew of this. The tale of Prometheus can be nothing but a garbled tale of the Wargs, bringing fire and civilization to needy Man, only to suffer at the hands of the jealous Eldar for the rest of eternity. And indeed, in times since, what has Man done to set Prometheus (which assuredly must be Race of Wargs in Greek) loose from his chains?