View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
the bad guys, but they are certainly fascinating and they have to be or a piece of literature would cease to be literature and would just become worthless pap
I don't think that literature dealing with overcoming one's shortcomings, fears, or with finding purpose or inspiration, or actualising an ideal is worthless. And such subjects don't require bad guys.
Quote:
The Shire, Mordor, Angband, Rivendell etc don't exist, so questions over whether I'd rather live in one of them more than another are irrelevant
In short. There isn't a wrong side, because these are just characters in a book.
(To avoid any misunderstandings, I am talking strictly on the general level; nothing I say is directed at any person in particular; I am talking ideas not individuals.) But doesn't being moral mean chosing good not evil in every situation? Can a person chose evil and not good in a situation and claim that he/she is still moral because said choice could never come into materialisation? Doesn't intention in fact define morality, moreso than the materialisation of intention? Isn't this an instance of hypocrisy?