View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #33
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
So much for willpower

Forgive me for catching up on replies to 30 posts in one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000th Reader, post #1
So, why do people root for and like the forces of evil?
The fact is they don't think about the woebegotten serfs and plebes who live out their lives in misery. These are the twisted souls who want to BE the villain, the One In Charge, the one who calls the shots. The ones who think that Good is boring and Evil is exciting are the ones who imagine that they will be the recipients of all the goodies. The ones who sympathize with evil are the ones who fail to see that "good" is good for all, while evil is good only for the one on top, and they want to be that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second of the Nine
Melkor was a bloody evil idiot who, judging from the sort of places he produced, could not possibly have had anyone's best interests in mind, and he should have just sat down, shut up and played along with the rest.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen, post #2
The sterility of absolute goodness - I am thinking a little of Blake and his resentment of the stifling effect of tradition and the establishment
To that I can only reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir, in several other threads on good and evil
When an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent being says to you, "Don't go there," it is not ruggend individualism, nor free thinking, nor creative license to go there anyway -- it is probably suicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor, post #3
How come you consider her selfish...when one sacrifices everything for love
Quote:
Greater love has no man, than to lay down his life for a friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė, post #4
you can like which ever characters you want to like...There isn't a wrong side, because these are just characters in a book.
This is very true. But it seems to me that you can tell quite a bit about a person from knowing with whom they sympathize. If you'd rather be buddies with Sauron than Gandalf, then I'll keep my eyes on you while I feel for my hatchet. (Apologies to C. S. Lewis.) And Yes, Virginia, there is a wrong side -- if you favor totalitarianism versus freedom, you are on the wrong side, for the reasons Second of the Nine states above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor, post#5
Doesn't intention in fact define morality, moreso than the materialisation of intention?
Precisely, Raynor. When your intention is to satisfy and gratify youself without regard for the well-being and happiness of others, that is the quintessential definition of evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000th Reader, post #6
a good deal of them are middle-aged folk
If anyone thinks the Goth contingent is confined to teenagers, you are gravely mistaken. There are people of all ages who are miserable, and would like nothing more than to drag everyone else down into their misery with them -- the idea that someone, somewhere is happy makes them go postal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė, post #7
There are some Downers who happen to love Orcs, think Melkor is ace and have crushes on Grima. So what? They aren't wrong, but it's definitely wrong to say they are wrong for that as it's a free choice.
LOL -- just read that over again to yourself, saying that it is wrong to say that people are wrong -- can you not see the self-contradiction? Without admitting it to yourself, you are guilty of establishing a standard of right and wrong, while at the same time saying that such standards should not exist! It is certainly not wrong (in the sense of "illegal") to hold such views. But to glorify oppression, tyranny, and self-aggrandizement is indeed wrong (in the sense of "immoral" or "evil"). Whatever happened to the maxim, "Do unto others as you would like them to do to you"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short, post #8
good and evil are relative concepts. The elves were doomed to hate orcs and try to wipe them out. The orcs were doomed to hate elves and try to wipe them out. To the orcs, the Elves must have appeared as evil aggressors. Supporting them is entirely fair...we have white and black in the Elves and Orcs. All you have to do is press a button to invert the colours.
Heavens! Surely you will not tell me that you are trying to draw some kind of twisted moral equivalence between the live-and-let-live (for the most part) Elves, and the murderous near-automatons of a ruthless and compassionless overlord? "Oh, if we could just undertstand the orcs, learn why their hatred is so great, perhaps we could reason with them, help them find their inner orcling..." This kind of reasoning is what blinds beople into inaction until it is too late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoden
How shall any tower withstand such numbers and such reckless hate?
I am skipping around a bit here -- please do not think that because I left a post without comment that it was not interesting or insightful. My time is limited. And several posts were adequately answered by others. This post is already long enough, and perhaps if I find more time tomorrow, I will pick up some other points which fatigue does not allow me to cover now. Feel free to flame away!