View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #552
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Nice outline, Lommy. I think that might give us a bit more of a punch to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
If you have warrior characters, they may stay as well, but most of the colony would probably move to the inner parts of Moria to be safe. I was thinking Náli would probably be Trór's "steward" there.
Sounds good to me. Obviously, my good old Lóni and Náli are staying (in order to be there to die when the time comes )

Quote:
*because we have this far ignored/forgotten the fact that in LotR Ori writes in the book of Mazarbul that they may yet hold the gates for long.
Curious question: Didn't he actually write that they could hold them for long, "IF..."? In such a case, we might also include some interesting "if" which goes wrong in the end and so the Orcs, as a result, break through.

Quote:
**need to come up why.
I think that's quite clear why - there is the lake (at this time even larger than at the time of the Fellowship's passage!) and the Watcher. Dwarves probably can't swim very well (if at all), and even if they could, you have children there. There is no way to get past the lake* for a band of refugees, and the only chance is therefore - what? Perhaps false hope that the warriors have been succesful to hold the gates, or that they have weakened the Orcs enough so that there is a way to defeat them - or maybe a hope that they have spread all over Moria to loot and there will be a chance to breach through their scattered forces to the East Gate and out on that end. The Watcher, from the brief encounter, in the Dwarves' minds gets a terrifying undefeatable quality, perhaps equalled with that of the Balrog, so encountering the Orcs is a preferrable option for them (also taking to account that people do not need to behave so rationally under such circumstances - especially taking to account that Óin, the likely leader of the refugee group, just became eaten in a rather unexpected encounter).

*I guess portraying this will be initially "my job", as Óin is the one whose case becomes the exemplary eating (resp. being eaten). I am looking forward to that and I am resolute in taking this as my responsibility and portraying this scene clearly enough so that it becomes obvious that there is no way to the West for the Dwarves. But that's still a long way ahead, of course
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories