View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan and Elrohir
Hey, what do you know! It's Gandalf the Black again! This guy hasn't been around in a while. I believe his first appearance came in FOTR, when he shot down Gimli's idea about going through Moria. Well, here he is again. This time, he attempts to shoot down 'Gorn's idea to march on the Black Gate. And once again, whose idea was that in the book? Elementary, my dear G.
Maia, in a pinch, tend to stick together. Gandalf in the movies is always watching out for his brethren...unless they shoot him with a fireball.

Quote:
I actually kind of like this change as it shows Aragorn's independence from Gandalf. Especially since we don't have G counseling 'Gorn not to use the palantir.
Yes, I know that for the audience we have to have Aragorn shine, and to do so, we have to dim all other lights. Still, it just kills me to see Gandalf so opposite his book-self.

Quote:
And there's good ol' Leggy, delivering the line that made him Captain Obvious: "A diversion."
He's got one note to play in RotK. At least he's not Eomer.

Quote:
And does it strike anyone as odd that Gandalf mentions 10,000 orcs now standing between Frodo and Mount Doom? That's as many as Saruman sent to Helm's Deep, but despite the conflicting reports of the filmmakers, we know that somewhere between 100,000 and 600,000 orcs came to Pelennor Fields. So doesn't 10,000 seem a bit low?
Glad that you mentioned it. The Battle of Minas Tirith surely decimated Sauron's forces, but you'd think that he'd be able to scratch up more than 10,000. Maybe Gandalf was just thinking of the Morannon Guard. In the next sequence we'll see more than a few orcs moving north to meet the coming threat. On the other hand, the way PJ played it, no forces came to reinforce Minas Tirith nor to replenish the numbers that were cut down. And so, for PJ, maybe Aragorn is attacking Sauron with 1000 or less. ???

Thanks for posting.