View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #16
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Maybe it is a little cynical, but nevertheless, I do see that Frodo possesses the hard sense of determination which is also a feature of other characters such as Aragorn; neither will stoop to any low or orcish behaviour to achieve what they must do, but nevertheless, both accept what must be done and have determination.

Quote:
So it went on, almost as unceasing as the waterfall, only interrupted by a faint noise of slavering and gurgling. Frodo shivered, listening with pity and disgust. He wished it would stop, and that he never need hear that voice again. Anborn was not far behind. He could creep back and ask him to get the huntsmen to shoot. They would probably get close enough, while Gollum was gorging and off his guard. Only one true shot, and Frodo would be rid of the miserable voice for ever. But no, Gollum had a claim on him now. The servant has a claim on the master for service, even service in fear. They would have foundered in the Dead Marshes but for Gollum. Frodo knew, too, somehow, quite clearly that Gandalf would not have wished it.
When Frodo is watching Gollum at the Forbidden Pool, he shows how he hates having to rely upon Gollum, and his justification for not allowing him to be killed lists his reasons. First is that Gollum is now his servant, second is that Gollum is useful, and thirdly is the memory of Gandalf's words. Yes, they are a consideration, but are one of several. Maybe those words are indeed the most insistent or important consideration to Frodo, yet they are overwhelmed in his mind by the practical ones (practical reasons others such as Sam will more readily accept).

I don't think that this would in any way detract from Frodo's character, he remains essentially good of course; in fact, I think such determination adds to his character. Frodo was not merely a sacrificial object, he willingly took on the task, just as Aragorn also accepted the role that had fallen to him.