View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
An emendation, a retraction, some responses:

The emendation first -- it was not Sauron, of course, who took the map and key from Thrain, it was Gandalf ("Bad Fordim; no donut!").

The retraction -- the points regarding fighting and defeating the Ring Bearers and having our characters taking them for themselves: OK, not such a good idea.

The responses -- I like the idea of two storylines (Mirkwood and Lorien), but that might end up being too cumbersome, mightn't it? If there are to be two, they should be combined very quickly.

As to the 'powers' of the Dwarf Rings: in UT it says that Sauron made them at the same time as he made the Nine, and there doesn't seem to be any distinction between them and the ones he gave to Men, at least insofar as his purpose for them. I've always just assumed that they had the same effect on the bearer. When Sauron took Thrain's Ring it drove him insane, which would seem to be in keeping with what we know of the 'possessive' power of the Nine. I don't think we could have them in the hands of orcs (Sauron would never trust them to orcs!), nor with any evil Men in his service (who would presumably end up as more Nazgul). That's why I thought Elves would be a good idea: they would be able to weild the Rings and serve Sauron without 'fading' like Men do, so it wouldn't be another group of Nazgul, but something entirely different and new.

Fordim