View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well "Father Christmas" gave me the LOTR a tad prematurely the year I read the Hobbit (having missed the final episode on Jackanory because I was at Brownies. I got stuck at the end of the Two Towers (Cirith Ungol was a bit too scary for me at nine) and only re-read it entirely a year or so later. I know I was hooked by the time I got to secondary school. My original copies disintegrated when I lent them to my Goddaughter who couldn't wait for her brother to finish with their copy. My next set are pretty tatty so I got the revised 50th anniversary all in one and covet the boxed hardbacks for best...
I wouldn't have missed Jackanory for anything, especially not Brownies (I lasted one year and did no badges, I mostly spent my time irritating other girls by putting spiders in their hair - I think I was in the Green Pixies). But I never ever saw the Jackanory Hobbit, or else I simply didn't remember it. I've got an bit of an addiction now for hunting down nice sets of the books so I'm not short of 'em. I got that nice new gold one-volume one too, couldn't resist. It's my Bling Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I've kept the first copies I ever read. I actually read the books that my dad got when he was in...highschool, I think. He never read them, but they were old when I got my hands on them. By the time they'd lived through being read by four of us five kids, the FotR was in five parts, but the other two survived it rather well.
Which edition are they Folwren? They must be quite old. Paperback or hardback? I'm intrigued now!