View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #153
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was early morning. Child was recovering from her genuine disappointment in not being on a real Elvish vessel headed for the Blessed Lands. Oh, well, if there really was an Elf in the woodpile, maybe she would get there some day. Those ancient libraries sounded just amazing. And the music......Oh, well. Better think about their real situation.

She stood on deck in the middle of the ship. She looked forward to the West as the ship ploughed ahead. She watched the vacant waters on all sides, but could see no sign of birds or fish or other life. Quite unusual!

Looking ahead, she saw how beautiful the sunrise was. She was reminded of the scene in Frodo's manuscript where Samwise could sense the beauty of the skies and the overall goodness, even in the midst of immediate darkness.

And then Child suddenly realizd something quite amazing. She dragged Birdie and Pio out on deck.

"Look, look, I'm not too good on natural history, but I do know one thing." she blurted out. "Look straight ahead of you to the front of the ship, up in the air. What do you see?"

Birdie tilted her head in a birdlike gesture: "Well, that's just the morning sunrise. Nothing special."

Child snorted, "Nothing special? If that's the morning sunrise, which it is, I'll be a monkey's uncle if we're sailing West. The sun rises in the East, even I know that. So we are sailing due East. There is no way we are going to the Blessed Lands."

"In fact, I would say we are going in the opposite direction, maybe towards those lands where the two istari disappeared, and they have some kind of crazy mystery cults and worship of demons."

"If you can show Frodo or Samwise the sun, maybe they will believe that this ship is up to no good."

"And also give them a copy of that Demon poem which Birdie mentioned. My annotated copy of "The Ancient Child" is back home in my bookcase, and I'm not sure if I can remember all the words of it. But I do know what piece Birdie is talking about."

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]