View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 09:53 PM   #43
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I agree that the statement: "This repition of so striking a name, though possible, would not be credible. No other major character in the Elvish legends reported in The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings has a name borne by another Elvish person of importance" cannot be dismissed. However:

1. I don't think that the Third Age Legolas was anywhere near as important a character in the mythology as was Glorfindel. That he was a major character in LotR does not mean that he was of great importance to the Legendarium as a whole.

2. I think your reasoning is backwards: you seem to say that a non-important Elf can repeat the name of an important Elf but not vice versa. But surely it cannot be known with any certainty how important an Elf will be at the time when he or she is named. Thranduil would not have said "I think my son's going to be important in days to come. Better not name name him after anybody."

The reverse, rather, would seem to be the case (and this fits very well with my hypothesis in my previous post). If Elf A is not important or well known, Elf B may very well be given the same name, not in imitation of or tribute to Elf A, but independently. But if Elf A is famous, his or her name will be well known, and Elf B will not be given that same name, because it is already an "important name". This can be summed up succinctly: Elf-parents do not tend to give their children names of important (well-known) Elves.

The one problem with this is Rumil. This is a problem, in any case though; certainly Rumil was already the name of an important Elf, and ought not to have been repeated. Apparently there were some that did not follow this rule (or perhaps the rustic Silvan Elves hadn't heard of Rumil the Sage!)

[ November 07, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote