View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #46
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwë_the_Faithful View Post
I think you meant "Carl" there, not "Doug".

Beyond that, I appreciate your defense. I frankly don't have the wherewithall to continue to engage with Galin about this. It gets to the point where it leaves the realm of "discussion" and reaches the point of "stalking". It seems to be close to reaching that point.
Doug, you responded to my posts, I'm responding to yours. It's discussion and has been quite civil in my opinion.

You gave one characterization about the Uinen issue, I think I gave another perspective. You could have simply agreed or disagreed with it, commented on it in some way, or said nothing. My post wasn't just 'last wordism' in my opinion. I also have the right to respond to Jallanite's posts, and if it happens to be about your book then so be it. If you want to bow out, feel free of course. You knew your book would be controversial, so yes it's being discussed on the web.

I think you are overreacting here. It took me a while to get back to my responses here, but that's just 'real life' as they say, and I wanted to read up on some things first, which took me some time to get to.

Quote:
Jallanite wrote: Hofstetter presumably meant books, Ĭ presume referring to all the Middle-earth books by J. R. R. Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien’s comments on them while I meant book, Kane’s book.
Right, and what you wrote was that Carl appeared to have 'only skimmed' Doug's book, which was only your assumption. That at least is pointed out, whether or not I was truly 'sloppy' in reading your post, as you assert.

Quote:
And on, and on, and on. To me, the remarks near the end of the debate and after Doug left the debate are the most important as they indicate what people concluded after listening to both parties. I don't see the commentators jumping all over Kane, except for yourself.
What remarks 'near the end of the debate' indicate what 'people' concluded? I have already noted that only so many people even responded specfically to the issues Carl raised. As for others, if I recall correctly for some we don't even know if they have necessarily read the book -- one person indicated earlier that he/she hadn't read the book, came back and said he/she had -- but still made no comment about the matter specifically.

Quote:
You are now attempting to prove that Kane’s treatment of Christopher Tolkien’s remarks on Ossë and Uinen are incorrect, but the sources are so complex that I doubt you can show anything unambiguously.
No I'm not attempting that Jallanite. I'm rather illustrating that Doug's statements are not the only way to characterize the Uinen matter, and clarifying (in some measure) what I meant about compromise earlier.

Quote:
Jallanite wrote: (...) I admit that this is probably one of the most dubious parts of Kane’s work, and by choosing it you by default admit that at least most of Kane’s work stands up.
Do you mean the Uinen section is one of the most dubious parts of Kane's work?

In any case, focusing on one thing does not mean 'by default' I necessarily agree or disagree with anything else.

Last edited by Galin; 09-11-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote