View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 05:47 AM   #205
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Rauthain

Traveling down the ravine, Rauthain saw something move in the silver light ahead of him. It did not appear to be an orc, but displayed rather the more fluid progression of a man, one who was traveling alone. In the dimness the ranger thought perhaps it was Maethor, sent on some errand to locate Naiore in this maze. For the man wore dark clothes and bore some little resemblance to him from the distance. But as he neared, Rauthain recognized he was also younger, and wondered how he might happen to be caught traveling though the Trollshaws at night when a band of malevolent orcs was aboard. And of the unwelcome host the man was undoubtedly aware, for even now his weapon was at ready, as he threaded his way through the valley.

Still Rauthain had his misgivings regarding the bare blade, and its bearer’s disposition, and watched with interest trying, to judge his intent, as he made his way closer. The traveler had stopped and waiting upon Rauthain’s approach he bowed respectfully to the old ranger as he guided Juta closer.

Rauthain questioned the stranger, stopping before him and saying, “Are you going to attack me?” for though he had greeted him, he still held sword in hand.

“Why? I have no quarrel with you sir, so indeed, quite the opposite. Some orcs have already taken my edge for a random scuffle away in a hurry,” he stated calmly as he finally sheathed his sword, taking a step closer. As he advanced, Rauthain caught sight of a shining gleam running down his shoulder, and cocking his head slightly as he looked him in the eye, asked, “What is your name and what purpose do you have for being here?”

“My name is Avanill son of At-“ he hesitated, “Son of Atoren…” And as he went on to declare his purpose to be of similar nature to Rauthain’s, though of a vengeful turn, the ranger looked down at the ground marking the man’s boots, as he listened. Narrow they were, distinctively so.

Slowly looking up again, he saw an expression of pain cross this newcomer’s face, mingling with the confusion of sharply contrasting shadows that lay there. “Our plight is somewhat the same, we both seek the death of the elf. My name is Rauthain,” the grizzled man announced.

“Well met then Rauthain, and good hunting to you. But if you will pardon my haste, I would be on my way,” Avanill said lightly, going to pass the other in the darkness.

“Ah, but I see you are injured,” the ranger observed, swinging down off his mount to further discourage his departure. “I have some simple medicine in my possession that has served me well, if you would care to make use of it.”

Looking at the ground, a grin rose to Avanill’s lips. “I also have certain medicines in my possession, but this wound does not require what I carry. Thank you no, I will be alright soon enough.”

“As you wish,” Rauthain replied. “But I do insist that we travel then together, for this is no night for a wounded man to be roaming here, and you are headed the wrong way if you seek those you speak of.”

The younger man paused in thought for a moment before speaking. “Then by all means, I will follow your lead, such is my fortune to meet with a ranger who might redirect my steps to Naiore!”

Rauthain smiled at this, guessing that Avanill’s true desire was to leave the Ravennor far behind him. For even in the darkness the ranger saw by his boots and bearing that this was the second and unknown man he had been following for so many days. And he could only speculate on his reason for abandoning her train.

But the ranger also knew that he would in the end need all the strength he could gather against her, and wagered this one would fight along side him rather than face Naiore’s wrath at his defection alone, in the coming days. He also had hope that in trying to prove the sincerity of his story, this man might prove easier to keep a watch on and possibly become an asset rather than the inevitable liability a prisoner usually ripened into. He would still bear a careful eye, to be sure, and the ranger would be careful also in his speech, not to betray his suspicions, at least until Imladris was reached, and he could be properly treated.

But for the present, Rauthain did not care to tarry any longer. And though he felt it more urgent to join his fellow rangers in Imladris, than to pursue Naiore directly, he did not speak of his plans to Avanill. Instead he headed for the ford saying, “Come then and let us see this thing through!”

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-11-2006 at 10:24 AM.