View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #71
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll explain my silly argument a little more.

We know that if Gondolin had not survived then Earendil would not have been born, ergo, the Valar would not have been called to deal with Morgoth. We also know that Turgon was not around to see this happen; all he was doing was following an instruction to build Gondolin. But to attempt to keep a people confined forever, even if it is for their own safety, is simply doomed to failure as those people will want out at some point. That is how people are, even Elves in a book. War or no war, people do not always follow rules and Tolkien's world is no different. Even Turgon himself broke the rules by leaving Valinor.

Turgon was also most definitely not a tyrant; as I have already said, to force people to stay would be the behaviour of a tyrant, but he does not do this as he allows his sister to leave. His downfall on her return is his stupid pride. When Eol comes to Gondolin he will not allow him the possibility of leaving. His pride is hurt as this other Elf, an Elf who is not one of the Noldor, has taken his sister without 'permission'. He clearly will not even contemplate listening to Eol. Had he done this he could have found himself in a stronger situation; instead he causes Eol, who is equally full of stupid pride, to react with violence.

Firstly, Turgon follows his 'orders', but how he follows them matters. And Secondly, his 'orders' are a suicide mission in the first place as Gondolin is doomed to failure - simply as Elves are not perfect beings, nor are they automata, they inevitably have personalities which may manifest in the desire to leave.