View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #154
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Shield maps and plans

Thursday, April 08, 2004
Hi all,

I've been looking hard at maps.

First of all, the head start that Amroth, Ędegard, Liornung and Bellyn got on Ravion turns out to be very good news. According to Ravion,

"I was in Rohan not a week gone by... ...and he is no longer in Edoras, as I said. As I also said, he is headed north. No one knew where he was bound."

So let's say the Rohan team had a week's head start. Maybe a little more.

I make it 300 miles from Edoras to the stream of Nimrodel at the Lorien edge. Average Cavalry speed is 33 miles per day, but Mellon-Amroth is pushing hard, and although he can't match Shadowfax's speed (100 miles a day) he's faster than 33 mi/day. Let's call it 45 miles / day to Lorien, since he's guessing he'll find Nimrodel there and the horses can rest. (He'll be wrong.) So, he gets to the edge of Lorien in a week. In other words, our timescales are a bit skewed; the Ędegard group is a week ahead of Ravion's group. We can either leave it that way for a little bit, or do some hasty writing and "catch up" timewise.

Timewise: As Ravion is leaving Minas Tirith, Erebemlin is meeting the Rohan group.

So let's say Erebemlin meets them where the Nimrodel-stream meets the edge of Lorien. He gives Mellon-Amroth the news that "She departed for the Havens long ago." So instead of searching along the banks of the Nimrodel-- the banks of which, Erebemlin assures him are quite deserted-- They immediately skirt the south of the forest and follow the Anduin river; the horses are growing weary.

So as Ędegard's group is heading south from Lorien along the Anduin on weary horses. Let's say they slow down to under 30 miles per day. Ravion's walkers are heading north-northwest, skirting the banks of the Anduin. Let's say they struggle along at twenty miles a day.

Somewhere between Rauros, Sarn Gebir, and the East Emnet, I'm guessing they will either hear word of Ędegard's group, or, they will actually find their trail. So at that point, they turn and follow the trail.

Do they each have horses by that time? What do you all think? Would some herdsman of Rohan take pity on them and offer them horses? (It's been nice working with Echo and the old Bay Mare, so... I confess I like the idea.)

I'm going to rough all this out on a map, and put it up on my website. It'll be a large map showing from the Bay of Belfalas to Lorien, with the trails I just described roughed out on it.

The Map

Comments....?

Grace and peace, --mark12_30