View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Davem
they are fighting for their ideals
This is a major theme of the book. They fight against evil not only because it will destroy everything they hold dear. But also because what evil stands for goes against what they believe in. The people of west believe in freedom,are against slavery,treachery etc.
If evil won it would destroy all their ideals.
This is why every character is willing to endanger themselves. They want their believes to live on and don't want them to be destroyed by Sauron. Of course Faramir is a good example of this. He stays in Ithillien, even though it is almost certain that he will be defeated,because he doesn't want evil to come any closer to the city of Gondor. The city of Gondor is very dear to him because it represents the greatness of the older days which he admires so much. Why is he so fascinated with events that happened so long ago? I think its because he admired his ancestors for what they did and accomplished. Plus, getting back to the idea of guarding you believes,his ancestors certainly did just that and were able to keep their believes safe and alive for many years.He respects them because he knows that if they hadn't fought as fiercely and unrelentlessley for their believes he would not have the freedom he has now.

Anyway I'm beginning to ramble. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.