View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well apart form having a virtual present from a Downs RPG character ..my best present was a set of leaf shaped garden lights which I hope will help make my garden a little like Loth-lorien (if only by night ..I already have some elvish looking candle holders and a mesh of lights ) Unfortunately the local nurseries do not stock mellyrn, elanor or niphredil so by day I aim for the Shire. Not so far off though I am sure the Gamgees would not approve of the lack of taters this year (never got round to them ) but I don't think they would fault the climbers.

As for the celebrations - lots of eating nice things and filling up the corners, wine to rival old Winyards and the finest ale in the Southfarthing of this Shire. I did mean to do a "Downer Dinner Party" and will try to rectify that over the weekend.

I rather like the fact that my birthday is a lithe day (at least if you don't adjust the calendar) .

It seems that only hobbits really celebrate birthdays (though Aragorn tidily died on his).

Elves usually have their birthdays in the spring which means that the birthday card industry is seasonal. They also mark the day of begetting rather than birth (though since the elvish gestation period is a year it is usually the same or near enough). This surely makes "teenage elves" (ie ones in their thirties and forties !!!) really squeamish .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote