View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 09:54 PM   #17
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Well, I think everyone here has it pretty much covered. Though, I would still put in my two cents. Why? Why not? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You said that Tolkien was heavily influenced by Christian ideas and beliefs. You mentioned among them: good and evil, creation, free will etc. But all religion has these roots, not simply Christian, Jewish etc. My own culture (Native American) has the same themes and stories that are found in the Bible or other religious texts. The fact that each religion has it's own version of these archetypal (sp?) tales is proof enough of this. Also, Tolkien was a great lover of mythology. And it CAN be said that Norse and Celtic myth influenced him greatly as well. Now, to your question. Yes, we can appreciate him without being Christian, Catholic, or Jewish, as every religion has the SAME OR SIMILAR stories, myths, legends and beliefs. Even atheists, with no concrete belief in 'only this' or 'only that' grow up around them, and at least know of the general themes that are portrayed though they may not believe/agree with them. And, if by some wierd chance they haven't heard of any of it, then Tolkien's tales would be their first introduction to them all, and then they would know them.

Agh, again I'm going around in circles. Someone just slap me! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]