Old 08-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #22
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Aiwendil posted
Quote:
What I think is the real difficult point here is the fate of Hurin's outlaws. I do not like Christopher's solution here - simply to drop the outlaws entirely and reduce the treasure brought by Hurin down to the Nauglamir. It seems clear from 'Wanderings' that the outlaws were to be retained.
I am of the opinion, that as Aiwendil suggests we re-introduce the outlaws with minimal words, and leave as vauge as possible the contents other than the Nauglimir that they take to Doriath.

Asgon in particular needs to be shownnamed in his continued appearances in the Narn, the Wanderings and finall the Ruin of Doriath.

There fate should I think remain unknown.

I am in favor of keeping Thingols death as per the 77. Not pure tolkien, but I do not wish to take too lightly CJRT's general conservatism and insight, and long pondering on the matter.

I think had he suggested it to his father [he seems to have been virtually unconnected with his fathers M-E writings in his last years though] JRRT most likely would have taken it as a basis to work from. It is not only 'an elegant solution' as Aiwendil has said, it has the ring of the Legendarium to it.

All that is my opinion of course, but it is admissable as an option according to our Principles.
[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote