View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 02:28 PM   #17
Genandra of Mirkwood
Pile O'Bones

Genandra of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been a Tolkien fan for awhile so I was very skeptical before seeing the movie, but then liked it a lot (though there were disappointments). I had told myself going in: a movie is a movie and a book is a book. I don't know what Tolkien would have thought, but he might have realized this too, that the movie world is an art form of its own with its own rules. (ie Tolkien might have agreed with ME ) The fact that the film stayed as closely to the book as it did is a great thing and not always to be hoped for from big-production movies.<P>Then when I read "purists'" opinions of the film I wonder, am I not loyal enough to Tolkien's vision?? I saw the movie again last night (#5 ) and realized- I love the movie because I love Middle Earth, period. I'm moved by one person's- or rather, a team of talented people's- vision of some aspects of Middle Earth. And I don't need that vision to be encyclopedic, as long as the spirit of things stay true. In my opinion they got very close to the real vision in most of the things they attempted to show.<P>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Genandra of Mirkwood ]<p>[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Genandra of Mirkwood ]
Genandra of Mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote