View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #19
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Kâthaanî’s face burned at Ziraphel’s less than gentle rebuke. It was her father who had been captured by the King’s Men. And she had been there to witness it. She knew well her mother’s fear and her responsibility, and it shamed her to be thought ungrateful and childish. Yet she would never leave her father to the mercies of Sauron while she sailed to safety with Inzillomí’s kin.

As her thoughts slowed, she watched the men assembling in her mother’s sitting room. She kept in the background, letting Inzillomí and Marsillion do most of the talking, but she watched attentively as each of the men came in, all drawn by the news of her father’s capture. Here was Tiru, faithful Tiru, and a handsome blonde man who must be Azarmanô, the captain often sent by Elendil with tidings from Rómenna.

Next to enter was a stranger who gave his name as Abârzadan of the House of Batânzâira, who had traded horses with her father. Abârpânarú had bought and sold Karibi from many different men, so it was no surprise to Kâthaanî that she didn’t recognize this one. Marsillion’s reaction, however, surprised her greatly. Her tall cousin stiffened and his eyes narrowed.

Last to join the assembled crowd was Thoronmir. The lanky man was familiar to Kâthaanî, he had been a frequent presence in the Karíbzîr house for years; and as one who was sometimes with Elendil, Kâthaanî had always looked forward to his visits. She loved to hear him tell about her grandfather and her tall uncles Isildur and Anarion. Thoronmir also seemed surprised by the presence of Abârzadan, but he greeted him cordially if a little hesitantly and took a seat close to Ziraphel.

Gazing silently at the group, Kâthaanî realized that here were five able men; all of whom, despite the latent tension between them, seemed willing to act to save Abârpânarú. Drawing a deep breath, Kâthaanî stood.

“As my mother has said she will have no man bound to do what he would not freely do, I say this: I will ride to find my father, and I know that with me, my cousin Nimilroth will go. Any man who will ride with me I will have as companion.” She turned to her mother. “I know you would have me stay, mother. But were our places exchanged, you know that Abârpânarú would ride to rescue me. I can do no less.” The sound of astonished men shifting uncomfortably in their chairs filled the room. Marsillion stood and placed his hand on her shoulder. Kâthaanî closed her eyes and waited.