View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #198
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

20 times reading this thread I was about to get annoyed and post angrily defending my favourites that people have said bad things about, but hey- everyone has different tastes! This I had to comment on though:
Quote:
*Nothing* is as deep as Tolkien. I don't think any other author has ever dedicated so much time and sheer intellect to the creation of a secondary world.
Says who? There are lots of dedicated people out there, Robert Jordan, for example, has made up an impressive history for his world and bits of a language. That may not be as extensive as Tolkiens, but the sheer volume of the Wheel of Time might make up for this. Taste is one thing but you can't say no-one was ever as dedicated.

Sorry, my list of fantasy books are:
# Tolkien!
# Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
# Amy Stout, The Sacred Seven
# Elizabeth Moon, The Deed of Paksenarrion
# JK Rowling, Harry Potter
# CS Lewis, Narnia
# Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials
# Tamora Pierce, Everything she's ever written!
# Marianne Curley, The Named and Old Magic
# Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl
# Victoria Hanley, The Seer and the Sword
# Diana Wynne Jones, The Worlds of Chrestomanci, etc
# Patricia Wrede
# Kevin Crossley-Holland, Arthur and...

Thats all the ones I can remember. I loved all of them, but would especially reccommend Robert Jordan and Tamora Pierce. Tamora Pierce is more aimed at children, but I'm 18 and they don't seem to young for me. I'd try them however old you are, after all some people suggest LOTR is a childrens story!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote