View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #43
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I read the Peoples of Middle-Earth in French, and let me tell you, if you want something that makes Feanor look more than ever like he should have been in a straight jacket and locked up in a padded room, read teh Shibboleth in French. The translator evdiently translated several things incorrectly (one of which shows Feanor in the most uncomplimentary light immaginable- an insane Noldorin ravager of women) and made his own small additions to the footnotes. I haven't seen it anywhere in over a year though, so I believe it went out of print.

In any case, here's some good reasons to read it English: [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
1. More information than you ever wanted to know about the First Age.
2. Awesome portrayal of women in the "Of Lembas" essay (Peoples of Middle-Earth aka volume 12)
3. Great information for an essay on how Tolkien's writings have changed the genre of fantasy in everything from surrealism to Arthurian legends. (I actually wrote this and got an A [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
4. Background information that explains some character quirks. (This is mostly for the Silm. and UT but the Histories are good too.)
5. Great information for an essay on how Elves evolved from impish little things in the hills to the majestic beings of some modern fantasy writers. (Wrote this one too, didn't come out quite so well, but was interesting nonetheless.)
and finally
6. You'll realize how uncomplicated your life really is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[[Heh, I haven't been to the 'Downs in awhile and I'm thrilled at engaging in intelligent conversation again!]]