View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #145
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Saeryn's mind whirled, but she was not upset. If Lin wouldn't mind if Degas thought her pretty, Saeryn certainly wouldn't mind it either. While the girl (barely younger than her!) was a little silly, it came from a sheltered life rather than from pure silliness. Put in her element, Saeryn had no doubt of her abilities. But the poor girl was as far from that element as a ship lost at sea, trying hard to get its bearings from stars through an overcast mid-day sky. Saeryn took pity.

"Degas doesn't lie."

"What?"

"He doesn't lie. I've never heard him utter a falsity that I can remember. If he said that you are pretty, no matter how laced his tongue was with foolishness, he believes it to be true. Now whether or not he thinks that you are, as you said, really pretty... that's not for me to say. But if you want to catch his attention... really catch his attention... ignore him."

"What?" Lin's vocabulary had lost much of its girth since the arrival of Saeryn's dashing brother. Saeryn rolled her eyes in mock exasperation.

"If you treat him with the same casual uncaring that he is very intentionally doing to you, he'll be curious like you wouldn't believe." Saeryn hoped that this advice would not backfire. She'd watched his brother win ladies' hearts for years, and only ever had seen one woman that was his match for games. A mutual friend had sent the pair as a couple to the dancefloor and she had been polite, proper, and above all, very aloof. At the end of their dance, she had left him with a wink, disappearing into the crowd. Saeryn had heard nothing more for weeks than the mysterious woman who had asked Degas nothing of himself, nor had she expressed interest beyond propriety.

Saeryn smiled, satisfied that it would work. "Now if you'll just act around him like you've acted around Eodwine!" Lin blushed and Saeryn laughed. "I know that he is off-putting, but try to avoid him knowing it. He'll be that much more cocky if you let on."

They entered the kitchen to the sight of an abashed Thornden, a content Marenil, a smiling Kara on return from disposing of potato peels, and a harrumphing Frodides, among others. She held back a smile, guessing at what had transpired. Standing in the doorway, leaning, if she had known it, the very same way Degas had done when speaking to Linduial. She spotted Falco palming a roll and looked away purposefully.

"Marenil, it is good to see you about. You are feeling well?"