View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #55
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Morning had come to the isle of Elenna. Outside, the storm continued unabated. A number of hobbrim had bedded down inside the large cave on reed mats, and were now waking up. A single hobbrim still stood guard outside under a cliff overhang. His task was to wait and watch, and to alarm the others at the earliest sign of intrusion or danger.

Bird had woken up some time before, but sat listening to the winds' roar and the pounding of the waves. Suddenly, a loud, bellowing noise echoed through the whole chamber. The shapechanger grabbed hold of Cami, who still slept, and jerked her into awareness. The women scrambled to their feet and raced to the front of the cavern where Angara had been lying.

The healer Azril, who'd been tending the wyrm, pointed towards the beach. "I'm sorry! I couldn't stop her. She awoke, and began to cry and bellow. Then she wrenched free and insisted on going outside."

Bird had already made her way to Angara's side. The golden wyrm reared up on wobbly hind legs with wings flapping vainly back and forth. Although the dragon's wounds were not grievous, she clearly lacked the strength to lift her massive body from the ground. And from her mouth came a single name, spoken in derision, that of "Mithadan."

Cami and Bird looked on bewildered. Then Angara turned to the woman and insisted, "I must return to the Star immediately to speak with Piosenniel and Mith. The Man's blunder has placed us in great danger." Once again, the wyrm arose, bating against the fury of the winds and rain.

Cami cried out above the storm, "Angara, stop it! You're too weak. Wait until this storm dies down, and we'll all make our way back through the waters. You'll shift to your smaller form, and rest in one of the boats."

The dragon's eyes narrowed. Reluctantly, she agreed, "Unfortunately, under the circumstances, hiding me under your skirt may be our safest course."

This answer greatly puzzled Cami, since Angara had never been known for modesty or restraint. But, no matter how much the two women pleaded for further explanation, the dragon refused to say anything more.

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]