View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #32
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader View Post
Sauron was humiliatingly defeated at the Isle of Werewolves, and lost every fight he was in, so no, he is certainly not greater than Morgoth.
He did not lose every fight he was in. When he was defeated at the end of the 2nd Age, it was really a draw between himself and Gil-galad/Elendil. Speaking of the Isle do you recall this encounter? "Felagund strove with Sauron in songs of power, and the power of the King was very great; but Sauron had the mastery, as is told in the Lay of Leithian:" [Sil, p. 206]

Quote:
Sauron, on the other hand, was repeatedly thwarted by the mortal beings (and lesser elves) of Arda.
I'm not so sure about that. Concerning the so-called "lesser Elves" as you call them Gil-galad was the King of the Noldor in ME. The Last Alliance is described as follows, "the host that was there assembled was fairer and more splendid in arms than any that has been since seen in Middle-Earth, and none greater has been mustered since the host of the Valar went against Thangorodrim." [Sil, p. 364] Sauron was bested by Huan and Luthien, the same Luthien who walked up to Melkor's throne with Beren and stole a Silmaril.

Quote:
none of Morgoth's defeats were truly shameful
Tulkas shamed him. "Melkor took refuge in the uttermost pit. Then Tulkas stood forth as champion of the Valar and wrestled with him, and cast him upon his face; and he was bound with the chain of Angainor" [Sil, p. 52] Now among the Valar "Nine were of chief power and reverence" [Sil, p. 23] and Tulkas is NOT considered among them.

Quote:
Sauron was like a carbon copy of Morgoth
I can agree to this for the most part. Sauron was of Aule's party and Melkor was most like Aule. I do think Sauron was his own guy however. He appeared to be into wolves, came up with a cool way to control the peoples of ME with the Rings of Power. It would have been interesting to see what kind of fell creatures the Elves would become who became enslaved to the Rings.