View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #27
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About 'legolas'...I think in Lost Tales (1 or 2, can't remember) there was a note put in by Tolkien saying:
Quote:
Note
Laigolas = green-leaf (Quenya: laiqa, Gnomish or Noldorin: laigos = green, green-ness; Quenya: lassė, Gnomish or Noldorin: lass = leaf)
becoming archaic because of final form [of laigos] becoming laib [green], gave Legolast i.e. keen-sight (last: 'look, glance', leg, lźg 'keen, piercing'). But perhaps both were his naems, as the Gnomes [Noldor] delighted to give two similar-sounding names of dissimilar meaning, as Laigolas Legolast, Tśrin Turambar.Legolas the ordinary form is a confusion of the two'
So when Galadriel calls Legolas 'Legolas Greenleaf', I assume this is because Legolas is loosly translated as 'green-leaf'
By the way, in the above quote, the Laigolas Legolast referred to I think is possibly the Legolas who lived in Gondolin, 'who led the exiles over Tumladin in the dark, being night-sighted, and he liveth still in Tol Eressėa named by the Eldar there Laiqalassė...' because he is the only other person who Tolkien wrote about having a name roughly similar to Legolas. Does that make sense? Maybe not, but nevermind.