Thread: Power of Rings
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
The Nine rendered their wearers invisible, just like the One Ring. Of course, it seems like Sauron tweaked the invisibility spell into a 'permanently invisible and endless life, hahaha, you are my wraith now' spell.
Actually the One Ring would do the same thing to a mortal who bore it for to long. Presumably all of the Rings of Power would make a mortal who wore them invisable because they pass partly into the "other dimension". The Ainur and those Elves who beheld the light of the Two Trees existed at once in both worlds and were visable in both, but mortals don't seem to have this ability (Dwarves being an exeption because they are both mortal and not mortal if you take my meaning). Both the Nine and the Seven were originally created for the Elves, not Men or Dwarves. Being created by both the Elves and Sauron these Rings would be more "multi-purpose" than the One or the Three. Therfore the Dwarves could use them to get riches and Men could use them to gain power. The Dwarves however could not "fade" and become wraiths, nor could Sauron tamper much with their thoughts. The best he could manage was to awaken greed in their hearts which, in the end, did quite enough damage.
If anyone wants to argue with me I can supply quotes, but right now I don't have time.